This summer, more than 34 Milford FFA members worked, studied and practiced in preparation for the 2018 Delaware State Fair. The fair brings a time for members to compete as a chapter, with a team, or as individuals in a variety of competitions, some displayed at the Centre Ice rink and some held behind the scenes.
Milford FFA received the prestigious Gold Chapter rating from the State of Delaware FFA. This award recognizes Milford FFA as being a top tier chapter based upon our Program of Activities for the entire year. This award will go on to the National level of FFA to represent the Milford FFA Chapter.
As a chapter, Milford FFA members built three chapter displays that were recognized by judges: Educational Display, with the theme of “Biotechnology; Landscape Display, where the chapter must landscape an area of 8’ x 16’, reflecting the theme of the Delaware State Fair, placed 5th; and Delaware Agriculture Products, with a title of “Delaware Agriculture, Lighting the Way.
FFA members began working on these displays the end of May and came in to school over the summer to finish them up and get them to the fair on time. Nineteen members represented the Milford FFA chapter in a wide variety of Career Development Events at the fair. In order to prepare for these competitions, students spend hours both in and out of the classroom during the summer studying a range of topics from judging livestock, through identifying weeds, seeds, and plant disorders commonly found in local agronomic crops.
The Milford FFA Food Science team placed 4th in the state. Team members were Emily Morgan (8th individually), Emilee Mills (10th individually), Anis Lopez, and Hazen Leighty. The food science contest includes creating/marketing a food based product, identifying different scents/tastes/and products. Students also had to determine chemical, physical, and biological hazards in the food industry.
The Milford FFA Dairy Cattle Evaluation team placed 2nd in the state. Team members were Taylor Wessel (2nd individually), Jacob Smith (3rd individually), Miranda Walker (8th individually) and Ashlyn Welch. Dairy cattle evaluation includes judging six classes of dairy cows or heifers, presenting oral reasons, evaluating cows based on their linear evaluation, and a team activity. The team will travel to Springfield, Massachusetts to represent Delaware FFA at the Eastern States Exposition.
The Milford FFA Livestock Evaluation team placed 2nd in the state. Team members were Alison Nordberg (4th individually), Julia Adams (5th individually), Harley Lardner (6th individually) and Allie Davis. Livestock evaluation includes judging beef, sheep, swine, and goats, presenting oral reasons, and grading cattle. The team will travel to Springfield, Massachusetts to represent Delaware FFA at the Eastern States Exposition.
Milford FFA member Brianna Reynolds placed 11th in the Dairy Handler Activity. She was judged based on her ability to present a dairy cow to the judge in a manner that enhances the animal’s good points, while covering any faults the animal may have.
The Milford FFA Agronomy Team placed 3rd in the state. Team members were Kaitlyn Schafer (7th individually), Curtis Sharp (10th individually), Brendan Outten, and Megan Davenport. The agronomy contest includes judging grains, hays, silage, vegetables, identifying crops, weeds, insects, plant disorders, and a team activity.
The Milford FFA Tractor Team consisted of Dalton Nordberg (3rd individually) and Shannon Wilt (10th individually). Students had to drive a two wheeled trailer course, four wheel wagon course, front end loader tractor course, and a skid steer course safely. Students also had to complete a parts identification, tractor safety walk around, and a written test.
Milford FFA members earned over 50 ribbons at the Delaware State Fair this year for their individual entries. Attached is a complete list of ribbons and placings.
The Milford FFA Livestock Show Team consisted of eleven students. The following students made up the team: Goat Showman- Victoria Donovan- Showmanship 13th place, Market 10th place, Hali Sapp- Showmanship 7th place, Market 5th place, Ashlynn Freeman- Showmanship 6th place, Market 10th place. Dairy Showman- Brianna Reynolds- Showmanship 11th place, Breed 19th place, Julie Walls- Showmanship 10th place, Julia Adams- Breed 2nd place, Harley Lardner- Breed 1st place. Swine Showman- Sarah Stevenson- Showmanship 5th place, Market 4th place, Harley Lardner- Showmanship 2nd place, Market 5th place, Julia Adams- Showmanship 3rd place, Market 2nd place, Julie Walls- Showmanship 1st place, Market 3rd place.
The Milford FFA chapter is led by Chris Stahl, Caitlin Walton, and Aaron Rill. All of the advisors are very proud of all of our members and their placings at fair. The students represented Milford FFA with outstanding service and effort through their many hours of hard work throughout the Delaware State Fair. We would also like to thank all of the parents and supporters that helped make our Summer/State Fair Program a success.
Milford FFA – Delaware State Fair Results 2018
National Chapter Award: Milford FFA received the prestigious Gold Chapter Rating from the State of Delaware FFA. This award recognizes Milford FFA as being a top tier chapter based upon our Program of Activities for the entire year. This award will go on to the National level of FFA to represent the Milford FFA Chapter.
Career Development Event Results
- Food Science CDE: 4th place team
- Emily Morgan- 8th place individually
- Emilee Mills- 10th place individually
- Anis Lopez
- Hazen Leighty
- Dairy Cattle Evaluation CDE: 2nd place team
- Taylor Wessel – 2nd place individually
- Jacob Smith – 3rd place individually
- Miranda Walker – 8th place individually
- Ashlyn Welch
- Livestock Evaluation CDE: 2nd place team
- Alison Nordberg – 4th place individually
- Julia Adams – 5th place individually
- Harley Lardner – 6th place individually
- Allie Davis
- Dairy Handler Activity:
- Brianna Reynolds – 11th place
- Agronomy CDE: 3rd place team
- Kaitlyn Schafer- 7th place individually
- Curtis Sharp- 10th place individually
- Brendan Outten
- Megan Davenport
- Tractor Driving CDE
- Dalton Nordberg- 3rd place individually
- Shannon Wilt- 10th place individually
- FFA Department Results
- Shannon Wilt – 4th place- Best Toolbox 24” and over
- 5th place- Large Interior Woodworking
- Autumn Justice- 5th place- Dozen Brown Eggs
- 5th place- Best 4 Potatoes
- Brendan Outten- 5th place- Best Container Garden 12” or less
- 4th place- Best 12 Red Cherry Tomatoes w/out stems
- Ashlyn Welch- 3rd place- Best Small Welding
- 2nd place- Best Pad Orchard Grass
- Alison Nordberg- 2nd place- Best Watermelon 2” stem
- 1st place- Best Watermelon 2” stem icebox
- 4th place- Best Head of Cabbage
- 3rd place- Best 5 Round Radishes
- 6th place- Best 3 Ears White Sweet Corn w/Husk
- 4th place- Best 3 Ears Bi-Colored Sweet Corn w/Husk
- 3rd place- Best Dozen Green String Beans in Pod
- 5th place- Best 3 Yellow Squash Straight Neck
- 6th place- Best Eggplant
- 5th place- Best 6 Any Other Hot Peppers Other Than Cherry
- 2nd place- Best 4 Red Slicing Type Tomatoes w/out Stems
- 5th place- Barley Best Gallon
- 1st place- Best Gallon Corn Silage
- 4th place- Best Growing Soybeans w/Roots
- 5th place- Best Single Stalk Corn
- Carissa Justice- 3rd place- Best 3 Ears White Sweet Corn w/Husk
- 1st place- Best 6 Any Other Hot Peppers Other Than Cherry
- 5th place- Best 6 Red Sauce/Italian Tomatoes w/out Stems
- Kaitlyn Schafer- 2nd place- Best 12 Red Cherry Tomatoes w/out Stems
- Jacob Smith- 3rd place- Best Pad Orchard Grass
- Milford FFA- 5th place- Best Chapter Landscape Display
- Best Delaware Agriculture Products Display
- Best Educational Display
Livestock Showteam Results
- Victoria Donovan – Showmanship 13th place Market 10th place
- Hali Sapp – Showmanship 7th place Market 5th place
- Ashlynn Freeman – Showmanship 6th place Market 10th place
- Brianna Reynolds – Showmanship 11th place Breed 19th place
- Julie Walls – Showmanship 10th place
- Julia Adams – Breed 2nd place
- Harley Lardner – Breed 1st place
- Sarah Stevenson – Showmanship 5th place Market 4th place
- Harley Lardner – Showmanship 2nd place Market 5th place
- Julia Adams – Showmanship 3rd place Market 2nd place
- Julie Walls – Showmanship 1st place Market 3rd place
Special thank you to Bender Farms and Vikki and Noah Gesford for leasing dairy heifers to Milford FFA members. Also thank you to Southern States of MIlford and MidAtlantic Farm Credit for purchasing Milford FFA member’s hogs during the Junior Livestock Auction.
By Christopher Stahl, MHS FFA Advisor