MidAtlantic Farm Credit recently announced the six recipients of their first annual Farmers on the Rise program, awarding $10,000 prizes to young, beginning, small, minority, and/or veteran farmers in their territory. The following agriculturalists received this year’s honor:
- Caleb Crothers and Alice Crothers of Long Green Farms Inc. in Rising Sun, Maryland
- Emma Jagoz of Moon Valley Farm in Woodsboro, Maryland
- Joseph and Jenell McHenry of McHenry’s Harvesting/Beef in Kennedyville, Maryland
- Robert “Wesley” Miller, Jr. and Amanda Miller of Chesapeake Gold Farms in North East, Maryland
- Matthew “Levi” Sellers and Bille Jo Sellers of South Mountain MicroFARM in Boonsboro, Maryland
- Atiya Wells of Backyard Basecamp, Inc. in Baltimore, Maryland
“We were pleased to have received more than 60 eligible applications and were inspired by each and every one of them,” says Tom Truitt, CEO of MidAtlantic Farm Credit. “The six recipients of this year’s award were recognized based on their efforts in agriculture, financial character, leadership, community wellbeing, and environmental stewardship. The future of agriculture within our region is incredibly diverse, and we are excited to watch these producers positively impact our industry.”
The contest was open to applicants that identify with at least one of the following categories: 18 to 40 years of age, a minority farmer, a veteran farmer, run a small farm with annual gross ag income less than $250,000, or a beginning farmer with less than 10 years of farming experience.
To learn more about the program and the recipients, visit mafc.com/rise.